Friday, November 6, 2009

The Real Deal -Part 2

I met a wonderful woman today as I waited to get my car serviced. She noticed the way that Dove and I were interacting and working on our lessons. "Are you homeschooling her?" After letting her know that I was indeed homeschooling her, the obvious question came next. "What made you decide to homeschool?"

I wanted to say, "Take a seat, this might take a while." So I gave her the short version, which I'll repeat for you.

First, I went on a mission trip to Guatemala and met a few homeschoolers and loved how mature, responsible and smart they were. I knew that I wanted my child to grow to have those qualities. At that moment, I promised that if I had the opportunity then I'd consider homeschooling. Well, I seized the opportunity when BOA and Mr. Vanderberry pushed me out of the door. Which, I might add, was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Secondly, I visit schools and teach drama to elementary students to help their reading and writing. I was so hurt with realizing that children didn't have a grasp on vocabulary, sentence structure or the elements of a story. It's not that our teachers were failing them, but the whole school system. Teachers have their hands tied behind their backs with the lack of resources, the red tape and lack of freedom with their lessons plans and the pressure of having the students pass the EOG standardized testing. And, not to mention the disruptive behavior and behavior issues that they have to deal with. I was truly disheartened.

Thirdly, my daughter was being bullied for being on the A-Honor Roll. Even though the schools had a "NO BULLY" policy, I still didn't see that they enforced it. It was so bad that the counselor contacted me because they found a note that she wrote that said, "I feel like I want to kill myself." Chile, I cried and thought, "Not my child." But, several of my friends admitted to me the almost same story.

This bully got other people to ostracize my daughter. And, I didn't want her to not excel in school to fit in with them. I was really mad with the principal at the school for an incident that happened with this bully. For Christmas, I gave specialized keys to friends with different words on them such as peace, love, success, prosperity, wisdom, etc. I specifically picked the keys out for people and special reasons. I gave Dove's teacher one for "love," I wished that she would have an abundance of love for teaching. I also gave Dove success and wisdom.

Well, one day (months later) her chain broked and the "bully" picked them up and wouldn't give them back. The teacher ended up taking them and both girls sweared that they were theirs, but the teacher knew that they belonged to Dove and even told the "bully" that I gave her one just like it. Her hands were tied because the girl was relentless with claiming them as hers. So, the teacher gave them to the principal whom I contacted. I even sent the card that I gave to Dove describing why I gave her the keys and the store where I purchased them. She told me that she knew that they belonged to Dove, but the "bully's" mother said that the keys belonged to her child and was given to her by an uncle. Yep, now ya'll know that lady was lying, right?

Back in the day, my Detroit teachers would have called a duck a duck. But, in this day and age, we can't offend anyone. So, the principal went out to the store and purchased the keys for the "bully" and gave my daughter back hers. I thought this was awful! They allowed this child to lie and steal and she was rewarded for it. What message would that send to the other children?

Lastly, I wanted my child to be able to compete in this world for colleges and scholarships. I don't feel confident in the school system to equip her with the knowledge to get her ready to be able to do that.

So, after our brief conversation, the nice woman I met was inspired to research it and consider homeschooling her preschooler.



No comments:

Post a Comment